Auto Accident Aftermath
No one wants to find themselves in a car accident, no matter how big or small. Auto accident aftermath is usually full of adrenaline and stress. But, it’s important to stay as focused as possible and follow certain steps post accident. By staying smart and aware of your surroundings, you are not only increasing your chances of staying safe, but you can help to build a case for yourself if needed.
Why is it so important to be aware of what goes on after an auto accident? As stated above, the first concern is keeping yourself safe. Secondly, you need to be aware during auto accident aftermath because this is the most important time where you can gather information to build a case for yourself, if needed. People will often regret not being more vigilant at the scene of a car accident because there is only a small window to gather information. Read on for how to stay smart in auto accident aftermath.
Check for Safety
- Calmly assess the situation for injuries. This includes yourself and anyone else involved in the accident.
- Call 9-11 if necessary.
- Move the vehicle out of traffic to a safer spot if you can.
Take Down Important Information
- Use your cell phone to take photos of the accident, including your vehicle, other vehicles, skid marks and/or obstructions on the roadway.
- Use your cell phone to take down notes that you will need later, like the contact information of anyone else involved in the accident, drivers license information and insurance information.
- If there are any witnesses, take down their information as well.
Talk to Authorities
- Make sure police write an accident report and find out where you need to go to get a copy. Also take down the officer’s name and contact information.
- If your car needs to be towed, get the contact information and address for the towing company.
- If you are treated for injuries, get the contact information for the hospital.
- Contact an attorney from SteinLaw. He or she can help you navigate your way through what happens after the accident.